Rep. Markey meets with visitors from Woburn on Constituents' Day
“Last week, I spoke with a small retail business owner named Dianne Autenzio from Woburn, Massachusetts in my district. She recently got a letter from her insurance company saying that her health insurance premium is jumping by 32 percent from $494 dollars per a month to $652 dollars per a month. Mrs. Autenzio said ‘My small business is struggling to survive now-a-days and I'm expected to pay an extra $158 each month for the same health plan.' It's making an already difficult economic situation even worse," said Rep. Markey.
1. Charles Goodyear invented “vulcanized” rubber in 1843. He discovered that if you removed sulphur from natural rubber, it retained its elasticity but also became winter-proof and water-proof.
2. Woburn was an early manufacturing center, tanning leather and making shoes. Production of shoes was so large that during the King Philip's Wars, town taxes were partially paid in shoes.
3. Mississippi Burning, a film by Woburn High graduates Nick Paleologos and Fred Zollo, was nominated for 7 Academy Awards in 1989.
4. Woburn is the setting for the novel A Civil Action by Jonathan Harr (made into 1998 movie starring John Travolta)
5. Eric Bogosian (Woburn High, 1971) wrote and performed the one-act play that became the basis for the movie, Talk Radio