Form of Government: Mayor, Council
2010 Population: 59,450
Rep. Markey meets with visitors from Malden on Constituents' Day
May 26, 2011: Congrats to Malden H.S.'s Jennifer Clapp for Outstanding Teaching
1. Of all the members of the US Congress that Malden has sent to Washington over the years, U.S. Representative Edward J. Markey, Malden native and Dean of the Massachusetts Congressional Delegation, has served the longest.
2. Malden was the home of Elisha Converse, the founder of the Converse Rubber Shoe Company. Converse sneakers had a worldwide reputation for many years. Converse discontinued manufacturing in the United States in 2001.
3. John Volpe, Republican Governor of Massachusetts, U.S. Secretary of Transportation, and Ambassador to Italy, was from Malden.
4. Frank Stella, a well known abstract painter and sculptor, was born in Malden.
5. The actor, Walter Brennan, known for his academy award in Come and Get It (1936) and who also starred in The Wedding Night (1935), Kentucky (1938), The Westerner (1940), and his three television series: The Real McCoys, The Tycoon, and Guns of Will Sonnett, was from Malden.
6. Harriet Robinson, suffrage leader, lived in Malden with her husband William Stevens Robinson, journalist and politician. Harriet Robinson helped found the National Women’s Suffrage Association and William Robinson founded the Free Soil Party.
April 19, 2007: Boy Scout Troop 603 from Malden, Massachusetts visits with Congressman Markey, Governor Patrick and Senator Kennedy at Congressman Markey's office.